working on the dlang.org website

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 07:55:53 PDT 2013

On Monday, 15 July 2013 at 14:42:17 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> AFAICT, it's just to generate the useless blob of links
> at the top of the page.

I'm pretty sure the flash is hypenate.js. The links can mess up
scrolling though as they appear.

> We need a *real* index, not a blob of links.

And, of course, it should be done server side. A while ago, I had
a little program that generated one from the html.

It would end up looking like this:
http://arsdnet.net/d-web-site/std_stdio.html

This just takes ddoc generated html, parses it, and modifies it
to add the table, so it can be done as a simple post processor in
the makefile. It is probably out of date now, but if someone else
is willing to go through the pull request and makefile editing
hassle, I'll update the code and give it to you.

> Too many websites these days pay too much attention to frills
> without delivering real content.

Speaking of frills, that same folder on my box still has the code
to add recent  (cached for 8 hours, so not 100% up to date)
commits and announcements to a site:

http://arsdnet.net/d-web-site/site

(This predates the new dlang.org design). If we want the html to
remain static, a way to do this would be to just link a <script>
to the main site and have containers with fixed heights and
static links. If js is enabled, the containers get filled up, and
the fixed height ensures the page doesn't jump. If not, the
static links still show so the space isn't wasted.

idk if it is worth it, I lean toward meh, but it would be pretty
easily doable.