working on the dlang.org website

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Jul 15 12:54:55 PDT 2013

On 7/15/2013 12:39 PM, Dicebot wrote:
> On Monday, 15 July 2013 at 19:20:00 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> That's why the d_programming twitter feed was added to the front page.
>
> Twitter is incredibly restrictive in its format. People coming to front page
> want to get a detailed explained overview of latest news, not 140-symbol
> mysteries.

Given how enormously popular Twitter is for breaking news and announcements, I
think you're wrong about that.

> Also it ties important information channel to an external closed
> service which is never good for the reputation.

I don't understand that comment. The twitter feed only shows d_programming tweets.

> And as cherry on top - I don't see and embedded twitter feeds on dlang.org right
> now ;)

I don't either - I don't know what happened there.

> And how do you expect someone to show the interest? :) Currently there are no
> tools for proposing front page news other than making pull requests which has
> unacceptable latency for news anyway. Dead end!

A large number of improvements have been made by someone showing enough interest
to actually drive forward the changes needed to support their interest. For
example, Brad Roberts and Bugzilla. Vladimir and the D forum software. Etc.

> One of best ways to have lot of contributions is making each single one as easy
> as possible.

It doesn't get easier than twitter.