working on the dlang.org website

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Mon Jul 15 13:11:39 PDT 2013

On Monday, 15 July 2013 at 19:54:54 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Given how enormously popular Twitter is for breaking news and
> announcements, I think you're wrong about that.

I have just check web pages for several popular programming
languages and have found zero using twitter instead of a news
feed. Popular? Applying general statistics (internet users) to an
extremely narrow specialized group of people (programming
language consumers) is not going to work.

>> Also it ties important information channel to an external
>> closed
>> service which is never good for the reputation.

It is a service that belongs to specific corporation and is
completely controlled by one providing no means for federation
and/or self-hosting. Random move from Twitter and D web site can
loose its only news feed. Outsourcing primary infrastructure does
not smell good.

> A large number of improvements have been made by someone
> showing enough interest to actually drive forward the changes
> needed to support their interest. For example, Brad Roberts and
> Bugzilla. Vladimir and the D forum software. Etc.

Which mostly highlights how awesome some members of D community
are :) But why not lower entry barrier? By the way, I have
already asked a question in that regard - if someone comes up
with a more dynamic web site implementation which is still based
on D stack, will it be accepted?