[OT] Why mobile web apps are slow

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Mon Jul 15 23:48:50 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 16 July 2013 at 00:09:26 UTC, Sean Kelly wrote:
> On Jul 14, 2013, at 12:56 AM, SomeDude
> <lovelydear at mailmetrash.com> wrote:
>>
>> C++ has gone te ARC route as well with shared_ptr. I find the
>> scoped_ptr/shared_ptr combination quite convenient and quite
>> safe overall.
>
> The thing that finally pushed me towards D was one day when I
> was looking at my C++ code and I realized just how much effort
> I'd put into defining data ownership rules.  And while tools
> like shared_ptr may automate the reference counting portion of
> the task in that case, the pointer type still needs to be
> defined somewhere and honored by all users of that API.  And
> shared_ptr isn't even terribly efficient by default because it
> has to assume sharing across threads, so you're stuck with
> memory synchronization techniques being employed every time a
> shared_ptr is copied.  Don't get me wrong, I think shared_ptr
> is a wonderful thing, but to be really competitive it would
> have to be truly automatic and have its behavior informed by a
> type label like "shared".
>

> Sean

For me it was an experience with Native Oberon in the mid-90's. A
desktop operating system coded in a systems programming language
with GC (Oberon) offering a Smalltalk like experience.

Sadly only people at Zurich's technical university, or followers
from Wirth's work, are aware of it and its successor Blue Bottle
(A2).

Some years later I also had access to information about Modula-3,
which provided a few ideas that made their way into C#.

Then all the work I did with Smalltalk and Camllight while at the
university.

So before Java was born, I was already convinced a GC was
possible for systems programming.

The problem is that the way Java and .NET have been sold in the
industry, most people without compiler development background,
tend to assume GC == VM.

--
Paulo