Is the NNTP forum unusually slow?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Jul 16 01:23:09 PDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 06:16:08PM -0700, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Not sure whether it's an issue on my end. Since a few days ago
> (can't tell exactly when because I was on crappy connections for a
> while) the NNTP forum seems to be really really slow. Is this
> happening to others as well?
[...]

I use the mailing list interface, so I can't really tell the exact
response time (mailserver latency and everything, y'know). I do notice,
though, that once in a while there would be a derth of messages, and
then all of a sudden a whole bunch of messages all at once. I'm not sure
if this is because responses to the forum actually happens in sporadic
peaks of activity, or if this indicates occasional performance issues in
the NNTP server. (Or if it's an effect of my MX running spamassassin,
with spots of high activity caused by spamd latency.)

It said to install Windows 2000 or better, so I installed Linux instead.