Interesting Research Paper on Constructors in OO Languages

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Jul 16 07:34:05 PDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 11:18:31AM +0200, Dicebot wrote:
> On Tuesday, 16 July 2013 at 08:19:10 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >Just discovered a new trick in D: struct inheritance using alias
> >this. :)
>
> Wasn't this stated in TDPL as one of primary design rationales behind
> "alias this"? :)

Haha, you're right. I read it before but apparently the only thing that
stuck in my mind is that alias this is to allow a type to masquerade as
another type. But looking at the relevant sections again, Andrei did
describe it as "subtyping", both w.r.t. classes and structs. Touché. :)

Mediocrity has been pushed to extremes.