working on the dlang.org website

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Jul 16 09:27:07 PDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 10:16:28AM -0500, captaindet wrote:
> On 2013-07-15 20:48, Brad Anderson wrote:
> >unfortunately, do not support CSS3 hyphens so they still use the slow
> >hyphenator.js.
>
> pls remove hyphenator.js altogehter. i see everyone complaining about
> it and no one wanting it. the words in the english language are
> usually short enough so that hyphenation is not really necessary.
[...]

+1. If people are using browsers that don't support hyphenation, then so
be it. They will just get slightly more line-wrapping, that's all. No
harm done. This is too tiny a detail to pay such a big price (slow

(I'm one of those people whose browsers don't support hyphenation. That
doesn't make the site any less useful (I turned off JS on dlang.org
because hyphenator.js is so annoying -- the only difference I noticed
was that the site is significantly more usable that way). This is really
a nice-to-have feature that doesn't deserve the price we're paying for
it, not an indispensible feature.)

First Rule of History: History doesn't repeat itself -- historians merely repeat each other.