working on the dlang.org website

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 13:37:48 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 16 July 2013 at 20:10:15 UTC, Val Markovic wrote:
> Having hyphenator.js on the site slows down the browsing
> experience
> immensely, especially on mobile. I know I personally avoid the
> dlang.orgsite on my Galaxy Nexus and on my Nexus 7 because of
> this
> reason.
>
> Since the whole web is right-aligned and users would much
> rather have a
> site that loads fast and without content flashes than a site
> with
> hyphenation, I believe the library should be removed.
>
> I say this as someone who is a typography nut and loves
> hyphenation. A
> printed book without it is not worth buying. But the cost of
> implementing
> it in JS for web pages is too high. There's a reason why no
> major website
> uses this approach.

Hyphenation is ok, but it's way over-eager on dlang.org

I have my thesis in front of me (LaTeXe) and there's roughly one
hyphenation (is that even the right word?) per page, clever
spacing manages the rest to get fully justified text.
dlang.org/index.html has 26 full-width lines and 10 are
hypenated! Even if you like hyphenation, that's just bad
typesetting.

hyphenate.js needs to go. It's far too slow and the results
aren't very good.