[OT] Why mobile web apps are slow

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 18:34:15 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 16 July 2013 at 14:53:05 UTC, Jonathan Dunlap wrote:
>>> So before Java was born, I was already convinced a GC was
> possible for systems programming.
>
> Can you explain (simply) how D's GC works and what improvements
> are on the roadmap for it? As it sits, I'm a little hesitant to
> use it for large applications because of its overhead I've
> heard about on other threads.

Good news, you can actually free bunch of memory yourself in D if
you need to via GC.free to reduce the GC pressure.

> http://3d.benjamin-thaut.de/?p=20
> "the manual memory managed version runs at 5 ms which is 200
> FPS and thus nearly 3 times as fast as the GC collected
> version."

This highlight the poor GC performances, but also the fact that
way too much allocation are done when not required, which
increase the GC pressure. This is something considered seriously
and the amount is decreasing with each version of D.