working on the dlang.org website

Chad Joan chadjoan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 07:02:21 PDT 2013

On 07/17/2013 05:22 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:> On 2013-07-17
09:46, Chad Joan wrote:

> Ddoc isn't hard to use, it's too limited in what it can do.
> What is hard is everything around it, like building and so on,
> as you mentioned. With a big web development framework, like
> Rails, it's well documented.

Since ddoc is used for documentation, then I think it should be
made as easy to build as possible.  This seems like a packaging
issue.  I'm usually more concerned with documentation fixup
myself, and documentation fixup is a pain in the butt if the
build process isn't "run command X, then open your browser to Y".

> I certainly don't think ddoc should be use for web development.
> I would never create a site with ddoc. It's too limited in what
> it can do.

Reasonable enough.  I easily can see how this would be the case.

I still hope that the D site will be mostly static.  I can see
use cases in some exceptions (like user comments on various
things, and maybe news pulling), but I feel like those should
load as close to static as possible, and otherwise not block the
experience if I happen to have adblock/noscript/etcetc all
running at full burn.  I think our forum software is a good
example of Doing It Right.