Deimos need some works

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Jul 17 14:00:57 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, July 17, 2013 22:40:58 bioinfornatics wrote:
> to package deimos project that is not really easy
> each module has his repo
> each module should to be builded not in same way

While I don't necessarily disagree that how deimos is done needs some work, I
don't see why you would ever need to package deimos. It contains disparate
libraries that aren't necessarily intended to be used together at all (and
potentially can't be - e.g. if one were Linux-specific and another were
Windows-specific). Having the deimos project is useful, because it gives us one
place to look for D bindings for C libraries, but the libraries in there are
otherwise completely unrelated to each other and thus packaging them together
really doesn't make sense IMHO.

Several of them are set up to use dub though, which makes grabbing them much
easier. I think that my biggest gripe with how Deimos is set up is that the
folks who manage the projects in there aren't in control of them. So, they
can't merge anything themselves or do other git commands such as tagging or
branching. Some of the Phobos devs do have merge rights, but that doesn't make
it so that they can do other stuff like tagging or branching. So, the result is
that only a few people (like Walter and probably Andrei) can do all of the
various stuff to those repos that a repo maintainer might want to do (like
branching), and yet the only reason that they're grouped together in the first
place is searchability. So, we've gained the searchability at the cost of
flexibility. But I don't know how to fix that aside maybe from Walter giving
full permissions/access to a deimos repo to its primary maintainer (without
giving them permissions to other deimos repos), but I don't know what github
will or won't allow you to do in that regard.

- Jonathan M Davis