Deimos need some works

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Jul 17 15:05:19 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, July 17, 2013 23:10:00 bioinfornatics wrote:
> I package for a linux distro so maintain one package which sync
> each module to current stable is more easy to maintain versus
> maintain x module .
> I do not know dub i will take a look if is an irtaller system for
> user or it could to be used to do a package

But the deimos project just provides bindings, not libraries, so the only
reason to have them is for development, and there's generally no reason to
build them separate from your program. As such, I see little point in
including them in a distro's packaging system, not when we're already looking
to have a package manager for D development packages. And I really don't agree
with the idea of grouping them all together to be grabbed together anyway,
because they're all completely unrelated. You wouldn't create a single rpm or
deb for all of the dev packages on a Linux distro would you? Granted, that
would be larger than packaging deimos (even if deimos had bindings for all of
the same dev packages), because it would include more than just bindings, but
it's the same concept.

This is a prime example of where a package manager for D makes sense and
distro packages do not, and many of the deimos projects are included in the
dub registry, so whether or not dub ever becomes either the actual or de facto
standard for D packages, it's at least usable at this point and is definitely
gaining adoption.

- Jonathan M Davis