Regarding: import "foo.h";

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Jul 17 17:59:09 PDT 2013

On 7/17/2013 4:18 PM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> On Wednesday, 17 July 2013 at 23:10:36 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 7/17/2013 4:01 PM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
>>> Why even bother starting this thread?
>>
>> Because the topic comes up now and then.
>
> I couldn't imagine anyone doing a significant amount of work only to have their
> work marked with a DigitalMars & Symantec stamp.

Symantec would not automatically own any derived work, they would only own the
original.

As for DM, yes, it'd be necessary to assign copyright to DM. Otherwise, having
source files with a dozen different copyrights on various lines of code in it is
completely impractical. Tango got into difficulty, for example, because various
people owned various copyrights in it, meaning that the license could not be
changed as it was hard to reach them all, let alone get any sort of consensus
agreement.

These kinds of issues are, of course, why Phobos is Boost licensed.

And lastly, the use of github ensures that contributors get credit for their
work regardless of license/copyright issues. It's just one of the things that
makes github such a great collaborative tool for us.