Regarding: import "foo.h";

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Wed Jul 17 22:54:41 PDT 2013

On 07/18/2013 12:52 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> 4. the license would be the same as for the back end

I take it using a different C/C++ frontend (such as clang) is out, at least for
DMD ... ?

> Essentially, I think it is impractical, and in the worst case scenario, could
> actually sink D because of the diversion of effort necessary. Instead, any such
> tool should be a separate tool, designed, built, and maintained separately.
> Perhaps DMD could call it like it calls the linker.

Personally I don't mind whether it's part of the compiler or a separate tool, as
long as there is a solution available that makes it easy to link to C/C++ code
without having to manually write bindings.  Though I imagine that for optimal
performance, some manual work will always be necessary.