Deimos need some works

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Thu Jul 18 00:09:09 PDT 2013

> As it stands, Deimos is a github organization (named D-Programming-Deimos to
> be precise) and for anything to be in Deimos, it must be in that github
> organization, which means that the repo is owned by that organization, and
> only members of that organization have any permissions for it (and the
> permissions can vary from member to member).

Yes, I understand that.

> So, while someone can certainly manage D bindings for a C library in their
> own repo, it's not really part of Deimos unless it's in a repo in
> D-Programming-Deimos.

Yes, but there's a difference between "an up-to-date clone of the project repo
is stored in D-Programming-Deimos" versus "the merging and pull requests and
other project management have to be carried out in D-Programming-Deimos."

>>   (ii) Deimos project repos just do a regular, automated clone/pull from the
>> specified home repo.
>
> It might be possible to create a tool to do something like that, but AFAIK,
> nothing like that currently exists. But if you were going to treat a
> particular person's repo as essentially the official one (as it's where the
> deimos one gets its stuff), then you probably might as well just take the
> approach of giving that person full access to the deimos repo in question
> rather than bothering with such a tool.

Depends on what options GitHub gives you.  If you can't give someone control
over a single repo in Deimos without giving them effective control over all the
others, then independent project repos + clone to D-Programming-Deimos might be
an OK way to organize it.  Seems better to me than a Wiki page list, because
this way you have direct access to the code from the Deimos project list.

It also gives Deimos admins a way to easily exclude projects that are proving
problematic -- just delete the Deimos clone of the project repo.