Deimos need some works

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Jul 18 01:59:54 PDT 2013

On Thursday, July 18, 2013 09:37:52 bioinfornatics wrote:
> On Thursday, 18 July 2013 at 07:36:48 UTC, bioinfornatics wrote:
> > after taking a look about dub source code. I do not think dun is
> > the way to go. Maybe i misunderstanding something.  This project
> > do not follow FHS: https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/en/FHS.
> >
> > at line 73
> > https://github.com/rejectedsoftware/dub/blob/master/source/dub/dub.d#L73
> > dub path are set to "/var/lib/dub/"
> >
> > and at line 195
> > https://github.com/rejectedsoftware/dub/blob/master/source/dub/dub.d#L195
> >
> >   install path is set to "/var/lib/dub/packages/"
> >
> > Any serious linux distro should to accept this to their official
> > repo. Then all d project which provides only dub as installer
> > will fail grow.
> >
> > Maybe i misunderstood somewhere just show me
>
> Any serious linux distro should not* to accept this to their
> official repo.

Except that none of this is supposed to even be in a Linux distro. None of it
would ever be in a Linux package or be installed in /usr or /var or any of
that. These are development packages, not actual programs, so there's no
reason to even have them installed by the distro in the main system. You only
need them to build your own software.

Now, that's a bit different if you're dealing with shared libraries (which
we'll have soon), and at that point, dub (or any other D package manager)
would potentially have to worry about looking at what's installed on the
system in some standard manner, and shared D libraries would be installed with
Linux packages. But for anything you'd be doing now, that's completely
irrelevant, because there's no benefit in installing any of it in the system as
a whole. This is particularly true for deimos projects which don't even
generate static libraries. They've basically just the D equivalent of a bunch
of include files.

So, I don't think that discussing installing deimos with a linux package (such
as an rpm or deb) makes any sense at all. At this point, the only D stuff that
it makes sense to make Linux packages for is applications. In the future,
it'll make sense for shared libraries, and package tools like dub will have to
adapt deal with that, but for the moment, since shared library support in D is
in its infancy, it's pretty much a non-issue.

We _could_ make linux packages for static libraries, but there's really not
much benefit in doing so, particularly when D compiles so quickly, and you
pretty much have to have built everything with the same version of dmd. But
not even that applies to deimos, since it just provides bindings.

- Jonathan M Davis