"Is the "D" programming language a better choice over c++?" on Reddit Gamedev

evilrat evilrat666 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 21:48:16 PDT 2013

On Friday, 19 July 2013 at 20:12:21 UTC, Jeremy DeHaan wrote:
> On Friday, 19 July 2013 at 18:56:39 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> In case you haven't seen it yet.
>>
>> http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/1imyhy/is_the_d_programming_language_a_better_choice/
>>
>> I did my small contribution referring to Manu's presentations
>>
>> http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/1imyhy/is_the_d_programming_language_a_better_choice/cb64r4l
>>
>> --
>> Paulo
>
> That's pretty exciting! Having people consider D a viable
> option for game development is very good exposure. I wonder how
> many people never heard of D until after they saw that post?

i don't wonder, here in my country(second world country if some
can say so) people only know what is C#, C++, a bit of Python, a
bit of Java, even less for fasm and others, maybe few other
relatively new languages, and only very few enthusiasts(!) know
and using D, though the others may knew about its existence they
are VERY skeptical about it(sure, who needs another C++ done
right when we have Java and C# ...).

The entire industry here works for Windows and almost every
company chooses easy path to use what Microsoft gives. No one
really cares about result(though they shouting on every corner
exactly opposed thing), process is a must they think. If you can
drag and drop a button on a form this is a good
language/ide/whatever they think, and i don't blame them,
business is business, but that is why i left it for a good reason.

I only wish that situation changes with come of solid tools like
IDE's(for me now the only usable IDE is VisualD, mono-d is just
pita to use at least on mac), major debuggers full support, UI
toolkits(maybe even more than anything else) and so on.