Are we getting better at designing programming languages?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Jul 23 09:47:37 PDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 06:24:14PM +0200, Jonathan A Dunlap wrote:
> Check it out: D is listed rather favorably on the chart..
> http://redmonk.com/dberkholz/2013/07/23/are-we-getting-better-at-designing-programming-languages/

I'm skeptical about using LOC/commit as a metric for measuring
expressiveness. First of all, does it take comments into account? 'cos
if it does, then it's basically a useless metric. It's also too easily
influenced by developer practices: smaller, more frequent commits vs.
larger, less frequent commits. And it's biased by quality of code: just
because a piece of code is buggy and has many 1-line fixes applied to
it, says nothing about the expressiveness of the language itself.

There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.