Unable to install latest DMD from D-Apt

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Jul 24 21:08:10 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 04:15:39AM +0200, Rene Zwanenburg wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply! I installed Squeeze a little less than a
> year ago. When I try to install multiarch support it fails, so
> you're probably right about it being outdated:
>
> ----
> apt-get install multiarch-support
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package multiarch-support is not available, but is referred to by
> another package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source
>
> E: Package 'multiarch-support' has no installation candidate
> ----
[...]

What are the contents of your /etc/apt/sources.list?

If you don't have any strong reason for staying with the old release,
it's probably worth your while to add this line to your sources.list:

	deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

then run apt-get update, and apt-get dist-upgrade to auto-upgrade to the
latest stable release, which does support multiarch. (It might take a
while to do it, though, so you could leave it running overnight.)

Or, if you're feeling adventurous, use "testing" instead of "stable".
Truth be told, 'testing' is actually far more stable than official
releases of certain popular OSes IME.

Let's call it an accidental feature. -- Larry Wall