Flame bait: D vs. Rust vs. Go Benchmarking

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Fri Jul 26 05:39:43 PDT 2013

On Friday, 26 July 2013 at 12:08:06 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> You put the limit at the wrong place. It is ok to say that some
> piece of code is a shitty monstrosity, but ok to say that to
> someone.

But you can also convey the same negative opinion about the code
without using that kind of language. If it makes it more likely
the code author will take on board the criticism and react well
to it, why not? It costs you much less to temper your language,
than to deal with an offended or angry developer.

> People get often offended because they associate themselves
> with their code. This isn't a good thing, and a indicator that
> the dev may have trouble to adapt/be territorial.

Yes, it's good to draw a line between "me" and "my code", and in
my experience good people in any discipline are more harshly
critical of their own work than anyone else's. But I wouldn't use
pejorative descriptions of code as a deliberate technique to
smoke out too-possessive developers. It's important to
distinguish between people who are arrogant or bad team players
versus people who react badly because they're not confident and
read, "this code is crap" as a euphemism for "the developer that
wrote this is crap". (Which, be fair, is sometimes what people
mean, and they use criticism of code as a technique to bully a
developer they don't like.)

If you avoid pejorative language, you can still deal with the
problem people but you have less risk of causing other problems
with abrasive behaviour.

> You don't always more dev in your boat as it means management
> overhead (yes, even with FOSS, as someone have to review the
> code, discuss it, etc . . .).

Sure, it's just that I wouldn't make "can they deal with abrasive
criticism?" the selection criteria. If I had to, I'd prefer "Can
they handle problems and disagreements, even severe ones, with
intelligence and courtesy?"