A proper language comparison...

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Jul 26 12:38:04 PDT 2013

On 7/26/2013 4:10 AM, John Colvin wrote:
> On Friday, 26 July 2013 at 05:13:37 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Software controlled brakes with no override? Madness!
>
> I presume you always had some override system with anything critical at Boeing?

ALWAYS! This was hammered into us. Millions of flights without fatalities? That
couldn't possibly happen without such systematic design.

I am continually amazed at critical systems design in Fukushima and Deep Water
Horizon that have no backups or overrides.

I'd fire any engineer that came to me the second time with a critical system
design he argues "can't fail" and doesn't need a backup/override.

> P.S. I don't suppose you happened to work with Bogdan Hnat there? It's a long
> shot as I think you would have left before he started.

I left Boeing around 1982. I've never heard of Bogdan Hnat, and I think I would
have remembered an unusual name like that :-)