A proper language comparison...

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Jul 26 13:58:33 PDT 2013

On 7/26/2013 12:30 PM, Chris Cain wrote:
> I wouldn't recommend turning the ignition off. Most cars lose power steering in
> that situation which is can be just as bad as or worse than losing brakes.

The power steering is driven by a belt connected to the crankshaft. You won't
lose power steering with the ignition off if the engine is turning.

But you need to be careful not to engage the steering lock. That would be a big
problem.

And also, I suggest this as a last resort if your other braking systems all failed.

> Most cars (including automatics) allow you to manually switch to lower gears
> which will also slow you down.

I have little experience with automatics.