A proper language comparison...

Jordi Sayol g.sayol at yahoo.es
Fri Jul 26 23:23:30 PDT 2013

On 27/07/13 01:25, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 7/26/13 3:52 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>>> Although commonplace, it is poor practice to use the engine to slow the
>>> car down (unless you're dealing with brake fade from overheating).
>>
>> I know next to nothing about cars so take this destruction with a grain of salt.
>>
>>> 1. Brake pads are cheap compared with engine rebuilds.
>>
>> My understanding is that engine brake does not destroy the engine. It does not
>> involve friction.
>
> It's news to me that engines are frictionless! (The braking effect is only partially due to engine friction - the pumping of the air is most of it. But the engine WEAR is due to friction.)
>
>> Indeed Wikipedia agrees:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_braking and even mentions "Engine braking is
>> a generally accepted practice and can help save wear on friction brakes".
>
> Of course it saves wear on the brakes. The issue is do you prefer wear on your engine?
>

>>> 2. Using the engine as a brake can cause unburned gas to wash the oil
>>> off of the cylinder walls, resulting in excessive wear.
>>
>> [citation needed]
>
> Mechanics at the dealer told me this. They had no reason to lie to me.

This absolutely true. About twenty years ago my friend's car broke down in a remote location. To bring the car to the nearest mechanic (2 or 3 kilometers), tied it to another car with a rope and used engine braking without ignition (engine was damaged) to prevent the spring effect. Result, pistons melted by excessive friction. This was due to the effect that Walter's mechanics clearly explained.

--
Jordi Sayol