A proper language comparison...

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 00:40:36 PDT 2013

On Friday, 26 July 2013 at 19:54:58 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 7/26/2013 10:25 AM, deadalnix wrote:
>> You emphasis it quite well, and that is certainly true for a
>> car, a plane, or
>> anything potentially dangerous.
>>
>> Different tradeoff apply when you talk about a video game, a
>> media player or and
>> IRC client.
>
> Of course.
>
> There is a cost of failure, though, to things like video games
> and media players. Annoying your customers. I've dumped using
> many media players because of their tendency to freeze up. I
> like to set my music on in the morning and run it all day.
> Having to regularly restart it means "abandon it and try a
> different one."

This kind of software can leverage way to recovers that would be
untolerable in an airplane (for instance because they only work
most of the time, or would produce an erratic behavior for a
short period of time, like an audio glitch).

D right now is not very friendly to such use cases as it is
designed to crash hard as soon as something wrong happens.

> My current media player freezes about once every couple weeks.
> It's infrequent enough to be tolerable. The Ubuntu one dies
> about once an hour. I gave up on that long ago.

On linux, I uses audacious for music, it is never crashing.