Flame bait: D vs. Rust vs. Go Benchmarking

Artur Skawina art.08.09 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 04:52:42 PDT 2013

On 07/26/13 22:49, Walter Bright wrote:
> Jobs and Torvalds famously use(d) obscenity, and in fact being cussed out by either of those can be a perverse badge of honor.
>
> But I think those are exceptions, and their methods are not general license for others to use the same techniques.

That could give the impression that Linus frequently /uses obscenity/
as a /method/, which would be very, very misleading. He does so /rarely/
and in exceptional contexts where it's appropriate, using a style which
pretty much makes sure no one is, or could be, offended.
The fact that he does it sometimes (and that he has a sense of humor)
means that various trolls and pseudo-news|discussion|journalism-sites
always have some material which they can mine from the vast amounts of
data, then deliberately use of out of context and misrepresent. [1]
Somebody reading just those accounts will get a very skewed picture,
which can then spread further. The quoted statement above is vague enough
that this might not be the case here - but it's also vague enough that
most readers *will* draw the wrong conclusions.
Which is not only unfair, but can have the opposite effect; people
will try to emulate Linus, without realizing that that his online
persona is extremely a) nice and friendly, b) eloquent, and c) frank.
In that order.

artur

[1] Which, btw, does not mean that one needs to avoid the possibility
    of this happening - it only means that one shouldn't blindly believe
    everything read. More often than not, somebody is trying to manipulate
    you.