Low-overhead components

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Tue Jul 30 08:04:48 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 30 July 2013 at 14:21:55 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> While not a bad proposal in itself, it's not very interesting
> in terms of performance. If we are to do pointers, then
> pointers to the lower layer aren't much harder to do by hand
> and save you the ECX (this pointer) adjustment when calling the
> lower layer's methods.

My guess (guess!) it will actually have better performance than
generating new template body for every member field. That
template bloat can easily get out of control to the point of
negative performance impact. As I have already mentioned, we
don't do that for nested aggregates - and this one is not that
different.

I do favor you first proposal actually but it requires some
considerations about fitting concept into language design
(despite being easy to implement).