working on the dlang.org website

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Wed Jul 31 00:35:34 PDT 2013

On 07/30/2013 02:00 PM, Wyatt wrote:
> On Tuesday, 30 July 2013 at 16:18:38 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
>> Anybody gets a timeout in hyphenate.js [..]
>
> Yeah. I've seen it. Even though it's supposed to be disabled for
> Firefox. I'm waiting eagerly for this pull request to get merged so we
> can end this farce:
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/367

Seems like Andrei is dragging his feet over a fetish that only he cares
about. Personally, I find hyphenation as a hindrance to readability,
unless I'm reading a newspaper column. Maybe it's useful for mobile, but
not if it degrades speed or does crap like flashing the page.

By the way, the worst idea I've seen is to do hyphenation statically on
the server side. How does the server know in advance how wide my browser
window is or the text size? It can't. It's the client's job to flow the
text.