D component programming is a joke (Was: Re: Component programming)

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Jul 31 15:46:04 PDT 2013

On 7/31/2013 3:23 PM, bearophile wrote:
> The situation should be improved for D/dmd/Phobos, otherwise such D component
> programming remains partially a dream, or a toy.

Ironically, the component program from the article I wrote:

     void main() {
         stdin.byLine(KeepTerminator.yes)    // 1
         map!(a => a.idup).                  // 2
         array.                              // 3
         sort.                               // 4
         copy(                               // 5
             stdout.lockingTextWriter());    // 6
     }

is 2x faster than the Haskell version:

     import Data.List
     import qualified Data.ByteString.Lazy.Char8 as L main = L.interact $
     L.unlines . sort . L.lines