D component programming is a joke (Was: Re: Component programming)

Justin Whear justin at economicmodeling.com
Wed Jul 31 16:52:35 PDT 2013

On Thu, 01 Aug 2013 00:23:52 +0200, bearophile wrote:

> The situation should be improved for D/dmd/Phobos, otherwise such D
> component programming remains partially a dream, or a toy.
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

I disagree with your "toy" assessment.  I've been using this chaining,
component style for a while now and have really enjoyed the clarity it's
brought to my code.  I hadn't realized how bug-prone non-trivial loops
tend to be until I started writing this way and avoided them entirely.
My policy is to aim for clarity and legibility first and to rewrite for
performance only if necessary.  Thus far, I don't think I've rewritten
anything out of the component programming style, so while probably not
optimal, it's been more than good enough.