D component programming is a joke (Was: Re: Component programming)

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Jul 31 18:40:22 PDT 2013

Walter Bright:

> Speed is only one measure of utility.

I agree, I program often in Python, and it can be very useful,
despite being sometimes not fast at all.

But as Haskell folks sometimes say, a modern language should try
to allow a high level style of coding while still keeping a "good
enough" efficiency.

------------------------

Justin Whear:

> I hadn't realized how bug-prone non-trivial loops tend to be
> until I started writing this way and avoided them entirely.

I agree.

> Thus far, I don't think I've rewritten anything out of the
> component programming style, so while probably not optimal,
> it's been more than good enough.

Take a look at this thread in D.learn:

http://forum.dlang.org/thread/mailman.304.1375190212.22075.digitalmars-d-learn@puremagic.com

Andrei Alexandrescu:

> Is that a lot better than ghc?

According to this article it seems better, but I have no direct
experience of it:

http://www.leafpetersen.com/leaf/publications/hs2013/haskell-gap.pdf

Bye,
bearophile