Slow performance compared to C++, ideas?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Jun 1 02:35:21 PDT 2013

finalpatch:

> I actually don't feel final by default is a big deal at all. Of
> all the factors that caused the poor performance that was
> discussed in the original post, final is the least significant
> one, only caused 5% to %7 of a speed penalty in a heavily
> recursive and looping program. Because of this I think its
> effect in less demanding scenario is negligible. Those who
> really needs the extra speed can simply add final to their
> methods in the hot path.

So profiling matters not just for people that write D code, but
also for compiler implementers that should focus on the things
that most impact the performance.

Is the escape analysis for dynamic arrays already in Bugzilla as
enhancement request? How much work does it need to be
implemented? And how much gain is it going to give to D programs
performance?

Bye,
bearophile