Suggestion: Build windows DMD with MSVC

Benjamin Thaut code at benjamin-thaut.de
Sat Jun 1 04:50:02 PDT 2013

Am 01.06.2013 03:23, schrieb Andrej Mitrovic:
> On 6/1/13, Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Building DMD with MSVC results in a compiler that runs MUCH MUCH faster.
>> In the interest of making DMD releases as fast as possible, this should be
>> standardised.
>
> Just one thing: Before attempting to build git-head, the following
> pull is required:
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/2102
>
> For some reason when I use DMD built with MSVC my unittests don't run.
>
> Other than that it does seem to be faster. I haven't ran any benchmarks yet.

There is a bug in the visual studio 2010 and up compiler which causes
real support to break. Its easiyl fixable though:

Replace line 136 in longdouble.h
template<typename T> inline longdouble ldouble(volatile T x) {
longdouble d; d.set(x); return d; }

with
template<typename T> __declspec(noinline) longdouble ldouble(T x) {
longdouble d; d.set(x); return d; }

And your unittests should run again.

Visual Studio 2008 and older don't have that problem.

Kind Regards
Benjamin Thaut