Slow performance compared to C++, ideas?

Benjamin Thaut code at benjamin-thaut.de
Sat Jun 1 07:24:32 PDT 2013

Am 01.06.2013 01:30, schrieb Manu:
> On 1 June 2013 09:15, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
> <mailto:bearophileHUGS at lycos.com>> wrote:
>
>     Manu:
>
>         On 1 June 2013 01:12, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
>         <mailto:bearophileHUGS at lycos.com>> wrote:
>
>             Manu:
>

>               Frankly, this is a textbook example of why STL is the
>             spawn of satan. For
>
>                 some reason people are TAUGHT that it's reasonable to
>                 write code like
>                 this.
>

>             There are many kinds of D code, not everything is a high
>             performance
>             ray-tracer or 3D game. So I'm sure there are many many
>             situations where
>             using the C++ STL is more than enough. As most tools, you
>             need to know
>             where and when to use them. So it's not a Satan-spawn :-)
>

>         So why are we having this conversation at all then if faster
>         isn't better in this instance?
>

>     Faster is better in this instance.
>     What's wrong is your thinking that the STL as the spawn of Satan in
>     general.
>

> Ah, but that's because it is ;)
> Rule of thumb: never use STL in tight loops. problem solved (well,
> mostly)...

I have to agree here. Whenever you have a codebase that has to work on 9
platforms and 6 compilers the S in STL vanishes. Also the
implementations are so varying in quality that you might get really good
performance on one platform but really bad on another. It seems like
everyone in the games industry avoids STL like the plague.

Kind Regards
Benjamin Thaut