Suggestion: Build windows DMD with MSVC

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Jun 1 15:38:19 PDT 2013

On Sunday, June 02, 2013 08:33:20 Manu wrote:
> Right, so the original question was, would whoever does the dmd releases
> consider building the release binaries with msvc? Is it Walter? Doubling
> the compiler's performance is significant. CTFE heavy code gets a much
> bigger boost too in my experience.

At this point, the whole release is done by Walter locally. He _might_ have
now given enough information to reproduce it recently when some folks were
bugging him about it, but it involves running a set of commands that are only
known to him and anyone who read the posting where he gave them. We really
need to get to the point that they're being generated by something like
autotester (potentially on a nightly basis as well so that anyone can easily
grab the latest code if they want to mess around with the current development
version).

Andrei and others have been pointing out for a while that all of the testing
and release stuff that Walter does locally should be automated and reproducible
by others, and we're getting there bit by bit, but we aren't there quite yet.

- Jonathan M Davis