Labels as values and threaded-code interpretation

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 2 11:00:11 PDT 2013

On 6/2/13 10:44 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/2/2013 12:49 AM, Brad Roberts wrote:
>> Many if not most of those non-unix platforms use gcc, which is included in the
>> set of compilers that does support it.  The point is, which you didn't change,
>> is that's it's a defacto standard even if not technically in the c or c++
>> language specs.
>
> The curious question is why it never gets into the newer C and C++ Standards.

I can only surmise since I've never been a part of those processes, but:

1) since the support is already there for the people that want it, why go through the hassle?

2) going through the hassle just to get it more broadly supported is a lot of hassle.

3) people are generally fundamentally allergic to hassle.

Which also lines up with why people are asking for it to be added to d, because it's not already
available, so it's worth the hassle.