Slow performance compared to C++, ideas?

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Sun Jun 2 11:27:47 PDT 2013

> On 6/2/13 12:16 PM, John Colvin wrote:
>> A lot of HPC scientific code is, at best, horribly fragile.
>
> Reminds me of that internal joke at www.llnl.gov. "If we make a mistake,
> millions of people will live." True story.

A story I heard from a lecturer of mine -- one of the interesting little factors
of the Cold War was how Soviet Russia managed to keep parity with NATO in terms
of missile guidance and other computer-related military technologies.  The US
had far superior hardware, so it was both a concern and a mystery.  What came
out after the end of the Cold War was quite impressive -- Soviet scientists had
realized very well that they couldn't compete on the hardware front and so had
focused a very intense effort on really, really efficient algorithms that
squeezed every drop of performance out of the hardware they had available, far
greater performance than Western computer scientists had ever imagined possible.