Error after installing DMD v2.063

Ellery Newcomer ellery-newcomer at utulsa.edu
Sun Jun 2 16:42:12 PDT 2013

> On Sunday, June 02, 2013 22:52:59 Russel Winder wrote:
>> On Sun, 2013-06-02 at 14:20 -0700, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>> […]
>>
>>> Create a bug report for it. I don't think that Walter realizes what's
>>> standard. And this whole problem probably stems from the fact that he
>>> can't
>>> put symlinks in the zip file that he generates, so he was talking about
>>> making it up to the maintainers to create the various symlinks, which
>>> IMHO is unacceptable long term, but it seems to require either changing
>>> the main release from a zip to something like 7zip or breaking it up per
>>> OS like a number of people have been asking for for ages. Regardless, the
>>> fact that the installer and rpm and whatnot are broken is unacceptable.
>>
>> Not being able to put symlinks in a zipfile has nothing to do with
>> getting deb files and RPM files correct since they should be built from
>> tarballs.
>>
>> Sounds like the system for creating distributions is broken.
>
> It's done entirely by Walter on his own systems, and I suspect that the deb
> and rpm files are created from the zip file (though I'm not sure if he creates
> those or someone else does). We need to change it so that the process for
> generating them is automated and does not rely on Walter. Work is being done
> in that area, but it does not appear to be a priority for Walter.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

I thought the packages were generated using the scripts at

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/installer/tree/master/linux

which pull the zip files from ftp.digitalmars.com

What would an automated process look like? I would think something like
a script which makes a tarball out of the git repos and then some more
which turn the tarball into rpm or deb or what have you?