Error after installing DMD v2.063

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Jun 2 17:15:48 PDT 2013

On Sunday, June 02, 2013 17:08:41 Walter Bright wrote:
> > On Sunday, June 02, 2013 16:50:00 Walter Bright wrote:
> >> It already is broken up per OS:
> >>     http://dlang.org/download.html
> >
> > But the _zip_ file isn't. We keep asking for _that_ to be broken up.
>
> There's no reason to, as broken up ones are available for each system.

Except that those are rpms and debs and whatnot which are different. I'm far
from the first to bring this up. It has been brought up repeatedly for quite
some time that folks don't want the zip to contain everything. They want to
get the zip (or tarball) for their specific OS and that's it. Using an rpm and
deb is fundamentally different, and if that were enough, why do we even have
the zip? Separating the OSes out and having an installer are two separate
issues (much as they have to be separated out for the installers), and most of
us want the zip to be separated. I don't think that much of anyone around here
thinks that the zip should contain all of the OSes. I believe that you're the
only one that's actually thought that it was a good idea whenever it's been
discussed. And the zip is only going to get bigger and bigger as we add shared
library support (and possibly more OSes in the future).

Regardless, the symlink issue alone shows that using the zip file format for
*nix is a mistake. Any packages released for *nix needs to support symlinks
correctly.

- Jonathan M Davis