Slow performance compared to C++, ideas?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 23:48:48 PDT 2013

On 3 June 2013 01:53, Roy Obena <roy.u at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, 2 June 2013 at 14:34:43 UTC, Manu wrote:
>
>> On 2 June 2013 21:46, Joseph Rushton Wakeling
>>

>  Well this is another classic point actually. I've been asked by my friends
>> at Cambridge to give their code a once-over for them on many occasions,
>> and
>> while I may not understand exactly what their code does, I can often spot
>> boat-loads of simple functional errors. Like basic programming bugs;
>> out-by-ones, pointer logic fails, clear lack of understanding of floating
>> point, or logical structure that will clearly lead to incorrect/unexpected
>> edge cases.
>> And it blows my mind that they then run this code on their big sets of
>> data, write some big analysis/conclusions, and present this statistical
>> data in some journal somewhere, and are generally accepted as an authority
>> and taken seriously!
>>

> You're making this up. I'm sure they do a lot of data-driven
> tests or simulations that make most errors detectable. They may
> not be savvy programmers, and their programs may not be
> error-free, but boat-loads of errors? C'mon.

I'm really not.
I mean, this won't all appear in the same function, but I've seen all these
sorts of errors on more than one occasion.
I suspect that in most cases it will just increase their perceived standard
deviation, otherwise I'm sure they'd notice it's all wrong and look for
their bugs.
But it's sad if a study shows higher than true standard deviation because
of code errors, or worse, if it does influence the averages slightly, but
they feel the result is plausible within their expected tolerance.
The scariest state is the idea that their code is *almost correct*.

Clearly, they should be using D ;)