Rust moving away from GC into reference counting

Dicebot m.strashun at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 07:20:05 PDT 2013

On Monday, 3 June 2013 at 14:04:23 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> I think we could do the whole owned pointer concept in D too,
> by making a struct with a disabled copy constructor. I don't
> know much about Rust's specifics though so not sure if that's
> an exact match.

I don't see how struct with a disabled copy constructor is
relevant to owned pointers. Most similar thing D has is "scope"
qualifier concept (and that is why I do want it so hard :)) -
hard guarantee that no pointer to your data will live longer than
data itself. All normal pointers become managed pointers in that
sense.