Rust moving away from GC into reference counting

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Mon Jun 3 10:41:38 PDT 2013

Am 03.06.2013 18:00, schrieb Manu:
> Haha, wow. Indeed, isn't that well timed with respect to recent
> discussions! ;)
> Post-dconf, I gave it some serious thought and I'm kinda convincing
> myself more and more each day that it's the way to go.

As I mentioned I prefer GC based solutions, but then again I live in the
JVM/.NET world, so I don't have the memory/timing pressure you have to
deal with.

But when looking at systems programming languages that offer reference
counting as the main memory management, ATS, Parasail, Objective-C, and
now Rust, all of them share a common feature:

- Compiler support to remove extra increment/decrement operations.

I guess on D's case this support would also be required.

--
Paulo