Error after installing DMD v2.063

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Jun 3 11:30:16 PDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-06-03 at 10:29 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:
> > It's done entirely by Walter on his own systems, and I suspect that the deb
> > and rpm files are created from the zip file (though I'm not sure if he creates
> > those or someone else does). We need to change it so that the process for
> > generating them is automated and does not rely on Walter. Work is being done
> > in that area, but it does not appear to be a priority for Walter.
>
> Creating deps and rpms is done from the zip file, and the scripts are here:
>
>     https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/installer
>
> I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but those scripts are not a mystery
> and anyone can produce pull requests to add to them or fix them.

As I noted earlier, the deb creation scripts in that repository are just
fundamentally the wrong way of creating debs. Also as noted earlier I
can't do anything about this till August. The result will not be a pull
request on the script in the repository, but a new Git repository
specifically designed to use the Debian standard deb creation toolchain
and a request to delete the script mentioned above from the whole
release toolset. Sorry guv but you have to use the right tool for the
job, and deb creation should use the deb creation tools.

The start point has to be a tarball of the source. If this is not part
of the distribution release then we need to agree an officially
acceptable process for creating a release source tarball.

Thanks.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk