Slow performance compared to C++, ideas?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Jun 3 16:47:22 PDT 2013

On Monday, June 03, 2013 22:15:15 Dicebot wrote:
> On Monday, 3 June 2013 at 16:16:48 UTC, Manu wrote:
> > It's impossible in D with separate compilation, and dynamic
> > libraries seal
> > the deal.
>
> Not really. It will be possible the very moment (if) "export"
> gets strict so that everything not marked with "export" won't be
> available for outer world.

1. That'll only affect Windows unless we change the linking model on *nix
systems.

2. That'll only affect stuff that isn't exported from a shared library. There
are plenty of cases where a class is exported from a shared library, and it
has lots of functions on it which are supposed to be non-virtual.

3. Doesn't doing this require that the _linker_ optimize out the virtuality of
the functions for you? If that's the case, it won't work any time soon (if
ever), because we use the C linker, not our own.

So, I really don't think that it makes sense to say that export is going to fix
much of anything with regards to virtuality.

- Jonathan M Davis