Rust moving away from GC into reference counting

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 17:29:16 PDT 2013

On 4 June 2013 03:41, Paulo Pinto <pjmlp at progtools.org> wrote:

> Am 03.06.2013 18:00, schrieb Manu:
>
>  Haha, wow. Indeed, isn't that well timed with respect to recent
>> discussions! ;)
>> Post-dconf, I gave it some serious thought and I'm kinda convincing
>> myself more and more each day that it's the way to go.
>>

> As I mentioned I prefer GC based solutions, but then again I live in the
> JVM/.NET world, so I don't have the memory/timing pressure you have to
> deal with.

I don't expect the GC would go anywhere. It would remain in use in typical
computing environments.
It would just be an option for realtime users/embedded platforms.

But when looking at systems programming languages that offer reference
> counting as the main memory management, ATS, Parasail, Objective-C, and now
> Rust, all of them share a common feature:
>
> - Compiler support to remove extra increment/decrement operations.
>
> I guess on D's case this support would also be required.

Yeah, indeed. I have no idea how much work that would be. I'm not holding
my breath that it'll appear any time soon :)