Slow performance compared to C++, ideas?

Flamaros flamaros.xavier at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 00:39:19 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 4 June 2013 at 07:12:34 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/3/2013 11:49 PM, deadalnix wrote:
>> We can do it in a D specific way (using our own metadata and
>> providing an
>> optimization pas for LLVM) but most likely we won't even need
>> to as the same
>> feature is planned to be added to clang and we can most likely
>> simply reuse
>> clang's metadata.
>
> There is another way.
>
> D can be made aware that it is building an executable (after
> all, that is why it invokes the linker). If you shove all the
> source code into the compiler in one command, for an
> executable, functions that are not overridden can be made final.

I think is interesting, because all open source software can be
build from sources and can also be done on some commercial
products in certain conditions. And compiling the world with D is
realistic, due to small compilation time.

I also don't understand why compilers don't generate executable
directly and use a linker, as they already know the binary format
and do optimization. I case of DMD which take all source file in
a raw, I don't see any issues. Do DMD do best inlining
optimizations than the linker when it get all sources as
parameter?