Slow performance compared to C++, ideas?

Sean Cavanaugh WorksOnMyMachine at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 00:56:19 PDT 2013

On 6/4/2013 2:46 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/4/2013 12:32 AM, Sean Cavanaugh wrote:
>> The problem isn't going to be in your own code, it will be in using
>> everyone elses.
>
> If you're forced to use someone else's code and are not allowed to
> change it in any way, then you're always going to have problems with
> badly written APIs.
>
> Even Manu mentioned that he's got problems with C++ libraries because of
> this, and C++ has non-virtual by default.

Changing third party libraries is a maintenance disaster, as they can
rename files and make other changes that cause your local modifications
to disappear into the ether after a merge.  We have a good number of
customizations to wxWidgets here, and I had to carefully port them all
up to the current wx codebase because the old one wasn't safe to use in
64 bits on windows.

Also, final-izing a third party library is going to be a pretty
dangerous thing to do and likely introduce some serious bugs along the way.