Error after installing DMD v2.063

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Jun 4 01:02:42 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, June 04, 2013 00:52:27 Walter Bright wrote:
> > But why create it as a zip file in the first place?
>
> Because creating tarballs on Windows is a big problem, not the least of
> which you can't create symlinks on Windows, so even if you found a working
> Windows tar program you still haven't solved the problem.

Except that they shouldn't even be being created on Windows in the first place.
I understand that this is how you've been doing it, but it would make a lot
more sense for a build machine like the auto tester to be generating the
tarballs as part of the build. Then they're being built locally to the OSes
that they're going to be used on, and the process is properly automatable. We
can even have nightly dev releases that way. I believe that this is what Brad
Roberts started working on with some recent pull requests towards creating
make install targets. Ideally, none of the official build and packaging process
would rely on your local setup.

- Jonathan M Davis