std.compress

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jun 4 01:20:31 PDT 2013

On 6/4/2013 1:08 AM, Jakob Ovrum wrote:
> On Tuesday, 4 June 2013 at 08:00:03 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> I have mixed feelings about that. If you'll notice, std.compress doesn't have
>> any imports! I wanted to make at least one module that doesn't pull in 100% of
>> everything in Phobos (one of my pet peeves).
>
> I think this is a workaround, not a proper solution.

Yes, it is.

> It probably means Phobos' granularity is horribly wrong.

Yup.

Phobos is hard to work on because of the complexity of everything importing and
depending on everything else all in mutually referential cycles. I deliberately
set out to create compress as a non-trivial module that did not do that.

I hope that splitting things up into packages will improve things.