std.compress

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jun 4 01:23:52 PDT 2013

On 6/4/2013 1:15 AM, Peter Alexander wrote:
> On Tuesday, 4 June 2013 at 08:03:15 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>>>
>>> I have mixed feelings about that. If you'll notice, std.compress doesn't have
>>> any imports! I wanted to make at least one module that doesn't pull in 100% of
>>> everything in Phobos (one of my pet peeves).
>>
>> Note also I didn't document it, so it is private and can be moved.
>
> Then it should be private.

I agree.

> You should also mangle the name so that it doesn't
> pollute the unqualified symbol namespace (either that or fix visibility of
> private symbols).

If it proves useful, it will be moved into some more proper and public place.

I think it's a bad idea to 'mangle' the name. First off, if it is private, it is
not visible. And even being public, the anti-hijacking language features make it
a non-problem. The whole point is to avoid the wretched C problems with a global
name space, by not having a global name space.