Slow performance compared to C++, ideas?

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Tue Jun 4 04:32:31 PDT 2013

On 06/04/2013 01:15 PM, Manu wrote:
> * virtual is a one-way trip. It can't be undone without risking breaking code
> once released to the wild. How can that state be a sensible default?
>   - Can not be un-done by the compiler/linker like it can in other (dynamic)
> languages. No sufficiently smart compiler can ever address this problem as an
> optimisation.

Have to say that for me, this is a bit of a killer point.  If a programmer
mistakenly picks the default option instead of the desired qualifier, ideally
you want the fix to be non-breaking.

It's complicated by the fact that code might get broken _now_ while changing the
default, but the question is whether the price is worth it for saving future pain.